The Maritime Conservatory of Performing Arts turns 130 this year!
Established in 1887 as The Halifax Ladies College and Conservatory of Music, the Consevatory made a number of transitions over the years. In 1921, the organization was incorporated as the Halifax Conservatory of Music. In 1952 the Halifax Conservatory of Music and Maritime Academy of Music amalgamated to become The Maritime Conservatory of Music. In 1998 the name was changed to The Maritime Conservatory of Performing Arts (MCPA) to reflect the evolved mission and function of the institution, which included disciplines like dance, in addition to music.
To become a sponsor of a program or event contact the Dean of Dance or the Dean of Music.
The Conservatory will be collaborating with faculty, students, partner organizations and friends to present a series of performances, on and off the campus, to celebrate with our friends and to build new audiences.
Watch our website for upcoming fundraising events.
Did You Know?
- Both the Conservatory and Armbrae Academy have their roots in The Halifax Ladies’ College and Conservatory of Music.
- Both schools celebrated 125 years in 2012.
- 6199 Chebucto Road, The Chebucto Road School (now the Conservatory), opened as a public school in 1912. At the time, this location was considered too far outside the main part of the city for the school to be a success. However, its classrooms were full by the end of the year.
- The Chebucto Road School served as a morgue after the 1917 Halifax Explosion.
- The Chebucto Road School building was 100 years old in 2012.