- Music Examinations are held in the Winter and Spring each year. The requirements for all subjects and grades are in accordance with the Syllabus of the Royal Conservatory of Music. (List A, B and C pieces from the Conservatory of Canada may be substituted for equivalent RCM grade level pieces and studies.) Cello exams are in accordance with MCPA cello department requirements.
- Certificates are not issued to students until all the necessary theory requirements are successfully completed. To obtain credit for Theory examinations completed elsewhere, an official transcript or letter is required.
- Please note the exam application deadline on the application form. No exceptions will be made. Please advise on your Exam Application form if you are unavailable on certain dates for your exam, e.g. a school trip, etc.; no changes will be made to the exam schedule after the deadline.
- NO refunds will be given for missed exams, as examiners are booked well in advance and the time for your exam is reserved for you. A portion of the fee may be applied to your next exam date only in exceptional cases, e.g. serious illness, not due to lack of preparation.
- Your tuition accounts MUST be up to date before exams may be taken.
Preparatory A & B – $45
Introductory – $45
Grade 1 – $59
Grade 2 – $63
Grade 3 – $69
Grade 4 – $74
Grade 5 – $79
Grade 6 – $84
Grade 7 – $93
Grade 8 – $109
Grade 9 – $118
Grade 10 – $183
We encourage all Conservatory students to obtain theory instruction from their teacher or in separate theory classes.
We are introducing new theory examinations for the year 2017-18.
These will be for Levels Prep to 5. Levels Prep to 4 will be 30 minutes long and Level 5 one hour.
The date for these examinations will be Saturday January 13th from 1:00 to 2:00pm. The deadline for registering for them in November 17th. The registration price for Prep to Level 4 is $15 and for Level 5 is $25. These examinations will be held in Studio #5 (Hazel Paul Studio).
These examinations are based on the new RCM Prep to Level 5 theory books, which are for students of all instruments and voice.
These exams will be offered again on Saturday May 5th from 1:00 to 2:00pm in Studio #9 (John & Dorothy Davis Room). The deadline for these exams is March 23rd.
These examinations will complement the same level as their practical examinations. So if a student takes for example their level 1 piano, violin or voice examination and they also take their level 1 theory examination, they will receive a complete level 1 certificate. This is not a mandatory co-requisite, but rather a way to encourage both teachers and students to complete their theory studies as well as their practical studies at the same time, in which ever field they choose to study.
For those exams above Level 6 we recommend that students take theory exams with the Royal Conservatory of Music.